Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Big Day

So tomorrow is "D" day, diagnostics day, that is. Kate is all set for her EGD scope, pH probe, bronchoscope and cilia biopsy, as well as a bunch of lab work. Last week she and Leah came down with this nasty respiratory stuff that everyone has right now. It's sort of croupy, sort of sinus infection like and very stubborn. We put Kate on oral steroids over the weekend, to try and prevent a bad flair up, despite the fact she wasn't wheezing yet. I say yet because she was definitely headed that way. I had wondered about putting her on them ahead of time to open things up, but didn't know how soon to pull her off of them to guarantee they wouldn't effect her tests. We went to Dr. McP on Friday and he said to put her on them for a few days (Fri-Sun) before I mentioned my idea. It was nice to have my "gut" match up with his advice. I feel like this change is going to be SO good and is a true Godsend. He also agreed to take on the girls as their primary.

Thanks to Dr. McP and the pulmonologist pulling many strings, we were able to get Kate's echo cardiogram done today. They basically said they wanted it done to clear her for the procedures. We tried it without any sedation, much to the cardiologist and echo techs uncertainty. Kate was awesome! She was totally still for the whole thing. The only time she wiggled was when she tried to dance to a song on the video she was watching. I did slip her about 10 M&M's, which helped. The cardiologist we saw a few weeks ago, Dr. W, stuck his head in and said he would be watching from his office and would meet with us afterwards. Usually you have to wait several days for the echo to be read, so this was a great surprise. He came in afterwards and explained that things were exactly what he suspected. She has a very small VSD. It was small enough the tech had trouble measuring the shunting (blood moving from the wrong side). He once again stated that this had nothing to do with her pulmonary issues. While I am not sure what the pulmonoligist feels, at least he now has numbers and facts to look at. It will be so nice to have everything on the table for the follow up appointments next week. It always stinks to go in and hear, "Well, let's see what such and such shows." I am sure I will get a copy of the echo report later with measurements and all. Tonight we are praising God for answers and good ones at that!

Both of the girls are still gunky. They have horrible junky coughs. Kate still isn't wheezing though and hasn't ran fever at all. We are praying the anesthesiologist doesn't cancel after hearing her. She started having green drainage today, so after a quick call to the pedi, she's on antibiotics, just to be safe. We should be starting things at 9:30 and it should take between an hour and an hour and a half. We will have to return on Friday to have the pH probe removed, which I'm told is quick. Then we have follow ups for the next few weeks.

Other than that things are alright around here. Leah has been a REAL toot lately. She has no regard to rules and is so unlike herself. Today I found her standing on the tank of the toilet. That was after she opened the door at the hair salon, while I was getting my hair cut, let Kate out, held the door shut and proceeded to scream, "Kate's outside playing", while Kate ran off through the courtyard. Yesterday she was supposed to be playing in the backyard and I found her in the woods at the end of the culdesac. She smirks when she gets caught. I know that she is jealous of the time I'm spending with Kate, despite the fact it is not enjoyable. I know I need to find special time for just us. That being said, we are on zero tolerance with her and she is "bored" because she can't go outside without one of us there. And she has a sore hiney. I hope that this passes soon.

Daddy-O is working like a mad man. I don't know how he keeps the hours he does. He is truly amazing! I went to the dentist this week...with both girls...by myself...for a quick cleaning. The appointment was wedged in the middle of two other appointments the girls had to be at so I brought them along. Two and a half hours later, we left the dentist. Like a two and a half hour dentist appointment isn't bad enough? Try it with two kiddos climbing all over you. If I had known it would be so long, I would have had Daddy-O come and take them to lunch. Needless to say, my teeth were not in very good shape, hence the extended appointment. I had root canals done on my two front teeth a long time ago and apparently one of them is totally damaged from the inside out. Joy! They think there is a chance they can save the tooth (isn't it already dead? Strange), but they aren't 100% sure. It will require oral surgery to fix and the dentist is going to study my x-rays and consult some of her colleagues on what to do. One of my back teeth has a huge chunk missing from me grinding it and that is going to require major work too. I can't wait to see the bill from that! At least I didn't have any cavities, right?

Well, that's about all for now. Here are some specific prayer requests for tomorrow, if you don't mind laying them before the throne!

1. For the procedures to go on as scheduled.
2. For guidance for the doctors.
3. For the things that are giving Kate trouble to be very apparent and lots of answers.
4. For safety.
5. For minimal effect on Kate, emotionally and physically.
6. For Leah's attitude and behavior.
7. For peace for Daddy-O and I.
8. For a clear game plan.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ou have sooo much on your plate.

I am praying!

nana in the north